Long Branch prospered and grew from the nation’s first seashore resort to become the “summer capital of the nation.” Seven U.S. Chief Executives (Grant, Hayes, Wilson, Garfield, Arthur, Harrison and McKinley) all chose to summer here and worship. In 1881, the St. James Episcopal Chapel was built and consecrated. Constructed in the traditional shape of a cross, its architecture resembles a cottage of the pseudo-Tudor design which was so popular in the 1880’s.
Now the home of the Long Branch Historical Museum containing artifacts and memorabilia relating to Long Branch’s national historical role, the original altar, transepts, and part of the nave are preserved. The Museum is on the National Register of Historic Places as well as the State Register.
For additional information about this church, call 732-229-0600.