Built at the request of New York merchants wanting to protect their ships entering the harbor, the Sandy Hook Lighthouse was lighted for the first time on June 11, 1764. The octagonal tower was the fifth lighthouse in the colonies and remains the oldest operating lighthouse in the United States. The lighthouse was occupied by British soldiers during the American Revolution, and was bombarded by cannons served by Patriot troops. It was also the sanctuary to local refugees who were sympathizers of the King.
The lighthouse is located on the northern most end of Sandy Hook. The grounds around the Lighthouse are open daily, with volunteers from the N.J. Lighthouse Society offering tours inside. Tours are limited on a first-come, first-served basis. From Memorial Day to Labor Day weekends, special use fees for beach parking are charged, while entry to the historic district is free.
Please call the visitor's center at 732-872-5970, or visit the Monmouth County Lighthouses website for more information and tour schedules.
Home | News Room | Info Center | Parks | Contact
| Last Updated 4/3/2014 9:07:00 AM